The Charm of Swiss Bread Rolls
There’s something undeniably enchanting about Swiss bread rolls. Their spiral shape, the golden crust, and the soft, fluffy interior make them not just a treat for the taste buds, but also a feast for the eyes. My journey in bread-making has brought us this delightful recipe that’s both simple and elegant.
Bread-Making Around the World
Embarking on a global bread-making journey, I’m demystifying the art of bread-making. No complex equipment, no exotic ingredients – just pure, straightforward baking that anyone can master. These Swiss bread rolls, made with just five ingredients, embody the essence of this journey.
Crafting Perfect Swiss Rolls
The process, broken down into manageable steps, is designed for success. The joy of seeing your dough rise, transforming into beautifully shaped spirals, and then coming out of the oven in perfect golden hues, is a rewarding experience. The tactile pleasure of kneading, the anticipation during rising, and the final revelation of perfectly baked rolls – it’s a complete sensory journey.
A Weekend Baking Adventure
What better way to spend your weekend than immersing yourself in the world of baking? These Swiss bread rolls are more than just a baking project; they’re a foray into the art of bread-making. And when it’s as easy and satisfying as this, it becomes an experience you’ll want to return to, time and again.
Gluten-free baking can be a journey of discovery and creativity. To adapt these Swiss rolls:
- Flour Substitute: Swap regular flour for a gluten-free flour blend. Look for a mix that includes xanthan gum, which mimics gluten’s elasticity.
- Kneading and Rising: Gluten-free doughs are often stickier and may require less kneading. Be prepared for a different texture during the rising process.
Making your Swiss bread rolls vegan-friendly is surprisingly easy:
- Egg Wash Alternative: Instead of an egg wash, use a mixture of almond milk and maple syrup or agave nectar for that golden sheen.
- Yeast Check: Ensure your yeast is vegan. Most commercial yeast brands are, but it’s always good to verify.
The Art of Alternative Baking
Baking with substitutions doesn’t mean compromising on enjoyment. The process of making these rolls – mixing, kneading, shaping, and baking – remains a delightful experience. While textures and flavors might slightly vary, the satisfaction of creating beautiful, dietary-friendly bread is immensely rewarding.
A Universal Baking Experience
Whether you’re gluten-intolerant, vegan, or simply experimenting with new baking styles, these Swiss bread rolls are a testament to the versatility and inclusivity of modern baking. With a few tweaks, everyone can partake in the joy of baking and savoring these exquisite rolls.
Conclusion: Bread-Making for Everyone
These Swiss bread rolls are not just about baking bread; they’re about embracing a new skill, enjoying the process, and creating something beautiful and delicious. They’re a reminder that the best things in life are often the simplest and that anyone can become a skilled bread-maker with the right recipe and a bit of enthusiasm. 🥐
5 Ingredient Swiss Bread Rolls
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 2 ½ Tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 ½ Tsp Sugar
- 2 ½ Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- In a bowl, combine warm water, active dry yeast, and sugar. Mix and let that sit for about 5 min, until foaming.
- Add in1 cup all purpose flour and a dash of salt. Mix that in, before slowly adding another 1 1/2 cups of flour in 3-4 sections. Mix in between each section. Allow your dough to rest for 10-20 min.
- Transfer your dough to a flat surface and knead for 5-8 minutes. Transfer to a lightly oiled dish, cover with plastic wrap and a towel and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, punch down your dough, cover and allow it to rise for another hour.
- Once fully risen, divide your dough into 8 sections. Roll each section into a long log, flatten it then roll it into a spiral (watch video for clarity).
- Place your 8 spirals, spiral face up in a oiled/buttered loaf pan. Cover and allow to rise for another hour.
- Finally, brush with egg wash and bake in the over at 400 degrees for about 25-30 min. Enjoy!!!