Transforming the Ordinary into Extraordinary
When fall graces us with its presence, pumpkin spice takes the culinary world by storm. It’s not just about lattes anymore, folks! Imagine starting your day with a high-protein, pumpkin-spiced bagel that catapults the familiar into the realm of the extraordinary.
The Emotional Appeal of Pumpkin Spice
Pumpkin spice is more than a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger. It’s the essence of fall, capturing the coziness and comfort we crave as the leaves change and the air grows crisp. It transcends flavor; it’s a seasonal mood, an emotion bottled up in a spice jar.
The Power of Homemade: Clean Eating for the Win
You’re not just baking; you’re revolutionizing your food choices.
No Preservatives or Chemicals: In a world increasingly concerned with clean eating, knowing exactly what goes into your food is empowering. Store-bought bread often includes preservatives and artificial ingredients. When you take the DIY route, you’re in control.
Nutrient-Packed Ingredients: With Greek yogurt as one of the main components, you’re infusing your breakfast with a powerhouse of nutrients.
- High in Protein: Greek yogurt is a stellar source of protein, essential for muscle repair and overall bodily function.
- Rich in Probiotics: Yogurt’s probiotics are great for gut health, aiding digestion and boosting your immune system.
- Low in Sugar: The absence of added sugars in Greek yogurt means you’re avoiding unnecessary calories.
Pumpkin Purée: Don’t overlook this nutrient-dense addition. Pumpkin is a good source of fiber, which aids in digestion, and it’s rich in vitamin A, crucial for vision and immune function. Plus, it’s low in calories!
Tailoring to Your Lifestyle: Because Everyone Deserves a Bagel
Let’s talk about options for the health-conscious and those with dietary restrictions:
- Gluten-Free: A simple swap of self-rising flour for gluten-free flour plus a tsp of gluten-free baking powder will do the trick.
- Keto-Friendly: Almond flour can substitute for self-rising flour. Also, use full-fat cream cheese in place of Greek yogurt to keep it keto.
For those following a plant-based lifestyle, you’re not left out of this pumpkin spice adventure:
- Vegan Yogurt Substitute: Swap out the Greek yogurt for a plant-based alternative like coconut or almond yogurt. This will still give you the creamy texture and tartness that yogurt brings.
- Egg-Free: Omit the egg wash. For a glossy finish, you can brush the bagels with a bit of olive oil or melted vegan butter before baking.
By using these vegan substitutes, you’ll still capture the essence and nutrition of these high-protein, pumpkin-spiced bagels, while adhering to your ethical and dietary choices.
The Pumpkin Spice Phenomenon: It’s More Than a Trend
Over the years, the pumpkin spice craze has moved from the beverage menu to invade all corners of the culinary universe. It’s not a fleeting trend; it’s a ritual, a hallmark of autumn. And now, with these high-protein pumpkin spiced bagels, it’s taking over the breakfast scene.
You’re not just hopping on a trend; you’re participating in a seasonal rite of passage that nourishes both body and soul. So why settle for ordinary when you can elevate your breakfast into a high-protein, nutrient-packed, autumnal experience? Take a moment this fall season to relish the power of homemade and the nutrients that come with it. The time to fall into flavor is now! 🍂🥯
3 Ingredient Pumpkin Spice Bagels
- 1 Cup Self rising flour (Or substitute 1 cup All purpose flour, 1 ½ Tsp baking powder and 1 Tsp salt)
- ⅔ Cup Greek Yogurt
- ⅓ Cup Pumpkin Purée
- 1 Tsp Sugar (or sweetener/honey)
- ½ Tbsp Pumpkin Spice (Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger)
- 1 Egg
- In a bowl combine self rise flour, greek yogurt, pumpkin purée, sugar, and pumpkin spice.
- Knead these together until a smooth dough forms. divide your dough into 4 balls, shaping each ball into a bagel shape.
- Place your bagels on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and brush with egg wash. Top with whatever you like, I added cinnamon sugar to mine.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes, flipping your tray half way.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then toast, fill with your favourite bagel filling and enjoy!