The Bread That’s Winning Hearts: Banh Mi Rolls
Say hello to the unsung hero of the Banh Mi experience—the bread! Not just any bread; we’re talking about rolls that are crispy on the outside, pillow-soft on the inside, and outright irresistible. Let’s talk about crafting these Vietnamese delights right in your kitchen!
Six Ingredients to Bread Heaven
Imagine you, yes YOU, making professional bakery-level Banh Mi rolls with just six simple ingredients. The magic is in the mix and the method, which we’ll get into in a minute. Get ready to transform water, yeast, sugar, flour, and a dash of olive oil into golden brown rolls of perfection.
Step by Step: Your Banh Mi Bread Odyssey
- Activate the Yeast: Warm water, yeast, and sugar come together. It’s alive!
- The Shaggy Dough Dance: Flour waltzes in, and the dough starts to form.
- Rest and Rise: Olive oil joins the party, then the dough gets cozy to rise.
- Shape and Second Rise: Roll, shape, rise again—your rolls are almost there.
- Score and Steam Bake: Scoring the tops is like signing your masterpiece before it goes into the spa-like steam of your oven.
- Cool and Consume: The hard part—waiting to tear into these beauties.
Why Homemade Beats Store-Bought
We’re after more than just taste here—we’re talking texture, the kind that can only be achieved with homemade attention to detail. Plus, when you’re the chef, you’re in charge of what goes in. No additives, just pure, unadulterated bread goodness.
The Taste Test
These Banh Mi rolls aren’t just vessels for fillings; they’re standalone stars. That first bite, where crispy meets fluffy, and all the subtle flavors meld together, will have you questioning why you’d ever settle for anything less.
Mastering the Roll
It’s not just about mixing and baking; it’s about the experience. Kneading the dough, feeling it change under your hands, watching it rise—it’s culinary magic.
Customizable for Any Diet
- Sweetness Your Way: Swap coconut sugar with any sugar you like. Adjust to your taste.
- Flour Power: All-purpose, whole wheat, or a gluten-free blend—choose what works for you.
- Oil Options: Olive oil is great, but feel free to use what’s in your pantry.
Crafting Gluten-Free Banh Mi Rolls
For those embracing a gluten-free lifestyle, you too can indulge in the Banh Mi roll experience. Here’s how to ensure your rolls are just as delectable without the gluten:
- Gluten-Free Flour Blend: Choose a high-quality gluten-free flour blend that’s designed for bread baking. Look for a mix that contains xanthan gum, which helps mimic gluten’s elasticity.
- Hydration Matters: Gluten-free flours often require more moisture. Don’t hesitate to add a little more water if the dough seems too dry.
- Rising Time: Gluten-free doughs can be a bit more delicate when it comes to rise times. Pay attention to the dough’s doubling in size rather than sticking strictly to the clock.
Ready to put on your baker’s hat? These Banh Mi rolls await. With such simplicity and versatility, you’re not just making bread; you’re creating traditions, memories, and, let’s be honest, some incredibly tasty sandwiches.
Crusty 5 Ingredient Banh Mi Rolls (Mini Baguettes)!
- 1 Cup Luke warm Water
- 2 Tsp Instant Yeast
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 2 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- In a bowl combine luke warm water, yeast, and sugar (I used coconut sugar). Mix well until dissolved. Add in all purpose flour, and mix until a shaggy dough forms.
- Cover and all to rest for 30 mins. Once rested, add in olive oil and knead well until a smooth dough forms. Place in an oiled dish and allow to rise for 1-2 hours.
- Once doubled in size, punch down your dough and transfer to a flat surface. Divide into 5-6 pieces, and roll each piece into a mini baguette shape. Place into a baking tray lined with floured parchment paper.
- Cover again and allow to rise for another 1 hour. Once done, score the tops with a knife. Heat over to 450 degrees. On the bottom rack, place a baking tray with boiling water, and place the baguettes on the rack above. Bake for 10 min, remove the boiling water and bake for 10 more min.
- Remove, allow to cool and enjoy!!