Bite into Bliss with these Cream Cheese Stuffed Bagel Bites!
Ah, the bagel: an iconic breakfast staple that’s enjoyed by millions daily. But, have you ever wanted just a bite-sized taste without committing to a whole bagel? Enter the bagel bite – not to be confused with the pizza variation, these little treats are packed with creamy goodness and all the classic flavors you love, in a convenient, adorable size.
The Revolution of the Bagel Bite
With the changing dynamic of food culture towards more nutritious and convenient options, bite-sized treats are experiencing a renaissance. Especially when they’re high in protein, made with minimal ingredients, and come with a delightful surprise in the middle. We’re witnessing the transformation of ordinary foods into healthified masterpieces!
Why Bagel Bites?
Apart from their cute factor, these bagel bites are seriously nutritious. Greek yogurt is not just a tangy component but brings a host of benefits to the table:
- High Protein: A great source of protein, which means these bites can keep you full longer.
- Rich in Probiotics: Good for your gut health.
- Low in Lactose: An excellent choice for those who might be lactose intolerant.
Did You Know? The use of Greek yogurt in baking has seen a surge in recent years due to its ability to keep baked goods moist while adding a dose of nutrition.
That luscious middle of cream cheese is not just about taste. Cream cheese provides a creamy texture contrast against the crusty outside, making every bite an experience. When paired with classic toppings like sesame and poppy seeds, it’s like a burst of breakfast flavors in every nibble.
Customize and Modernize
The beauty of these bites is their adaptability. Whether you’re looking for gluten-free, keto, or vegan options, with a bit of tinkering, these bites can fit any diet. Check out the substitutions below to cater to your diverse dietary needs.
- Self-Rising Flour: Substitute with gluten-free self-rising flour. If you can’t find this, you can use gluten-free all-purpose flour and add 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt.
- The other ingredients (Plain Greek Yogurt, Egg, Cream Cheese, and Toppings) remain the same for this variation.
- Self-Rising Flour: You can keep it the same or opt for whole wheat or other plant-based flour variation for a different flavor profile.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: Substitute with a vegan yogurt alternative, such as coconut or almond-based yogurt.
- Egg: Use a flax egg as a substitute. To make a flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 2.5 tablespoons of water, and let it sit for about 10 minutes until it thickens.
- Cream Cheese: Use vegan cream cheese available at health food stores or some major supermarkets.
- Self Rising Flour: Substitute with almond flour or coconut flour. Keep in mind that these flours absorb more moisture than regular flour, so you might need to adjust the quantity or add a little more liquid to get the right dough consistency. Add 1 tsp of baking powder to ensure rise (ensure it’s gluten-free if needed).
- Plain Greek Yogurt: Substitute with full-fat Greek yogurt or a keto-friendly yogurt alternative.
- Cream Cheese: Opt for full-fat cream cheese.
- Toppings: Stick to low-carb toppings. Sesame and poppy seeds are keto-friendly in moderation.
Ready to Experience the Magic?
With your appetite whetted and interest piqued, it’s time to delve into the making of these delightful bagel bites. Remember, sometimes, the best things come in small packages!
3 Ingredient High Protein Bagel Bites!
- 1 Cup Self Rising Flour (If only have AP flour, add 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt to make self rising)
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Cup Cream Cheese
- Toppings (optional; I used sesame and poppy seeds)
- Add self rise flour and plain Greek yogurt to a bowl, and mix well until a dough forms.
- Transfer your dough to a flat surface and knead until it’s no longer sticky. Divide into 12 equal sections.
- Slightly wet your hands if necessary, and roll each section into a ball then a flat disk. Place a piece of cream cheese in the centre of the disk, then fold all the sides in and roll it into a ball around the cream cheese.
- Place all of your bites on a baking sheet with parchment paper, brush with egg wash and top with any toppings you like (I used sesame and poppy seeds)!
- Bake in the oven at 400℉ for 25-30 minutes. Remove and enjoy!!!